Friday, May 27, 2011

A Great Week in the Lowcountry





My week in South Carolina is coming to a close, and it has been great. We peaked yesterday as we played on the beach, swam in the ocean, and had a great dinner at on Bowen Island in the middle of the salt marshes here in what they call the "Lowcountry" in South Carolina. We had fried oysters, shrimp and some cold brews.

Each day we began by reading and drinking coffee, spending time in prayer and scripture. About noontime each day we headed to the beach to surf, read, and take in the sea and sand. My reading focused on 1 and 2 Kings and Life With God by Richard Foster. My takeaways from Kings is just how crazy the Israelites were to ask for kings! The just wouldn't realize that God was their King! But they tried and tried and tried, but to no avail. It was a bit like reading a history of my own life! How many times have I tried to be my own king, or make something else my king while not realizing that God is right here in front of me saying, "Helllooo!!! Hey Jim, over here!" Ah, Lord, forgive me!

Life With God is a rich, deep read about how God has sought us out first to be with us, primarily known through scripture. And the question remains, "Will we be with God?"

As I fly home tomorrow, I will remember this time of checking in with Todd and Brian, praying deeply for one another, crying, laughing so hard we cried, eating great food, watching MMA (Mixed Martial Arts...very manly!), getting a little sun-burned, resting deeply, and enjoying just being. What a tremendous gift from God!

I'm looking forward to heading home to be with my family, and getting ready for Julia's 8th grade graduation this coming week.

God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment