Thursday, June 9, 2011

Sabbatical Kicks in Another Gear










As I write this, I am sitting in my sister-in-law's beautiful home in Edinburgh, Scotland! We arrived this morning (which was really last night our time) with no serious hiccups. The airport fire department did actually surround our plane here upon arrival because they thought our landing gear was on fire, but that was merely precautionary. It was admittedly exciting to see all the fire trucks, though!

The past week has been full of ending the school year for the Coons Family. We celebrated Julia's 8th grade graduation last week where she was given awards for having a 4.0 throughout the year and the English Award for being the top English student this year. We are so proud of her and can't believe she's on to Chico High in the fall! The other kids also finished the school year, as did Emily. Not only did Em finish the teaching year, but also completed her coursework for her Special Education certification from Chico State. Now it is finally her turn to get some rest and have her sabbatical, too!

Prior to leaving town, we spent some great time with family and friends, celebrating birthdays, fishing and eating great food. Emily and I got away for a romantic getaway to the Diamond Hotel for a night to celebrate the end of her school year. What a great place right in the middle of downtown Chico! We felt miles away from reality, though we were only 3 miles from home.

So now sabbatical kicks into another gear as we begin the European leg of our time. We managed to bookend our time here in Europe with two important events: the much anticipated U2 concert on the way here and the even more anticipated final Harry Potter movie on the way home. You can't say we don't have our priorities straight!

U2 was...well...amazing as usual. I've seen them numerous times and they continue to feed my soul. There is always a point in their shows where the rock concert transforms into a worship service. That happened again Tuesday night as they played, "Where the Streets Have No Name." It's a song dreaming of the new heaven and earth, where there is "no sorrow, no shame..." As hands shot into the air, people were transported into that "thin place" where heaven and earth meet. What's so great is that I'm certain the majority of the concert-goers are unaware they are being ushered into the presence of the Almighty, yet there we were: 50,000 of us singing in one voice a prayer that Jesus taught, "Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, On earth as it is in heaven." Chills ran up and down my spine as tears formed in the corners of my eyes. Emily, who was sitting across the stadium with some friends and Eliza Kate, sent me a text that simply said, "Wow."

Wow, indeed. I went to a U2 concert to see a band, but I got God instead.

I love sabbatical.

Now that we're in Scotland, we'll spend some time getting over our jet-lag and getting prepared for our week on the Isle of Iona. We will leave the kiddos here in Edinburgh with Emily's sister as Emily and I participate in a communal living experience at the Abbey on Iona, the center for Celtic Spirituality. We'll be there 5 days simply being and experiencing all that God has for us.

I'm finding it best to drop whatever agendas I have and simply stand open-handed before God with this gift of time we've been given. There is a kind of peace and openness that comes with going with the ebb and flow, with the rhythms of rest. Mostly, though, I am grateful for this time and for all the receipts I get to turn in that will be covered by the Louisville Institute! There is a sense of freedom in living that I have longed to know for the past 2 years. It is good to finally be here.

Until later,
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment